Frequently Asked Questions

What is a registered clinical psychologist?

In order to become registered in Manitoba, a clinical psychologist must hold a doctoral degree in clinical psychology; they must have passed both written and oral licensing exams in this province, and must have worked for a certain period of time under the supervision of a more senior psychologist.

What is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?

Clinical psychologists do all their training in how to counsel people. Psychiatrists first train in medicine and then specialize in studying psychiatric problems. Most psychiatrists these days focus primarily on diagnosing mental health problems and prescribing medication; few currently do ongoing psychotherapy.

Who pays for the services of a psychologist?

While Manitoba Health pays for the services of psychiatrists who are M.D.’s, the fees of a psychologist are not paid for by the government. Psychologists’ fees are private, however, many people have insurance benefit packages through work that will reimburse for a portion of the services of a registered clinical psychologist. Fees are also income tax-deductible.

How much does therapy cost?

Fees are based on guidelines set out by the Manitoba Psychological Society’s recommended fee schedule for psychologists. Most psychologists charge approximately the same rates. Services not covered by extended health plans but rather paid out of pocket to a registered clinical psychologist are deductible as a medical expense on your federal tax return.

How do I find a psychologist?

The Manitoba Psychological Society provides a directory of all the registered psychologists in the Province of Manitoba. You can use their search engine to filter and search for someone who fits your needs. Once you acquire a list of suitable psychologists, you can proceed by looking up their websites and either emailing them or phoning them.